Weather websites - solar eclipse 4/8/2028

As we grow even closer to Monday, April 8, please share links here to your favorite websites for cloud and weather forecasts.

You really want us to get depressed, don’t you.

It’s an honest request. I won’t trust forecasts (or adjust plans) until 3 days before — but their forecasts are better than none.

Well Tom, its a little early to check the weather for April 8, 2028 :wink:

:grin::joy::rofl:

Just checked for where I’m going in Central Texas. Thunderstorms are likely. :pleading_face: But still hoping for a break during totality at least.

I’ve decided I’m going to stay there and not go clear sky hunting. I’ll see what I see right there.

For anyone headed to Texas, here’s the link to the National Weather Service. You’ll find that they are already providing forecast and other information for the eclipse (now updated daily)
https://www.weather.gov/fwd/

1 Like

Yes, it is not looking good most of the state of Texas. I’ve got the numbers for several airport automated weather reporting systems. I can decide the morning of the 8th where and if I will be going. Clear or Scattered cloud cover is OK, but anything else is not good.

Odds are better the farther south in Texas to avoid clouds. Like Texas Hill Country close to the border. Not sure yet if I feel like driving all the way down there, I’ll make my mind up when I drive past Waco. Somewhere between Waco and Texas Hill Country is my current plan as of now.

Also I prefer to drive at night and early morning, so I am thinking heading out Friday 9 pm and drive until Saturday about 5 am. Mostly dodging semi trucks as I listen to pod casts and audio books.

1 Like

If you subscribe to the NYT, or have a friend with a subscription that can give you a shared article link (Guess what? You DO!), you can use: Total Solar Eclipse Weather Forecast: Latest Cloud Cover Maps - The New York Times

Not sure how many people can use a shared link from the NYT, but let’s find out.

1 Like

Thanks for the link to the NYT article. Yes, I do subscribe. I’m happy to see that they plan to keep it updated.

Before we talk forecast let me introduce you to T.E.R.D… Total Eclipse Recording Device.

Plan A: is for TERD and I to be near Lampasas, Texas with fellow club member Mitche at a secret location in hill country. But, as everyone is aware the computer models are showing a low, thick cloud deck from the Gulf parking itself right along the eclipse line in Texas. Not all clouds are equal, the occasional passing cloud or thin, high cirrus clouds are ok for eclipse watching, but a low, solid cloud deck is NOT ok.

Plan B: Russellville, Arkansas is looking better with broken, passing clouds.

Plan C: Carbondale, Illinois is looking best with only 20% passing clouds, and mostly sunny.

Yes, it’s still early, but the computer models are very accurate these days. So, for now, it’s a waiting game. If the next big storm system is a little early or late, the cloud situation could shift over off the Eclipse path.

2 Likes

That looks like a MIGHTY, BIG, T.E.R.D. !
Very impressive, Andy, I look forward to seeing your images.

That is a very impressive imaging rig. You are very well prepared.

Now can you share which weather forecasting websites you are watching for these three locations?

I’m checking all the usual apps several times a day (weather underground, AccuWeather, WeatherBug, and The weather channel), I’m also looking at the computer models in the college of DuPage site. The college of DuPage is a meteorology school and has open access to the HRRR, NAM and many other computer models.

1 Like

Thanks for these sources, @Andy_Fryhover .

@egrizz Posted these cloud forecasts that are these best sources that I’ve seen yet: Total/Partial Solar Eclipse on 8 Apr 2024 - #32 by egrizz

Thank you everyone for sharing weather websites. I am changing my plans, I am planning to go to northern Arkansas or Missouri instead of Texas just because of the clouds. Instead of heading out tonight I’ll wait until tomorrow night and check the cloud coverage one more time before I leave.