Total/Partial Solar Eclipse on 8 Apr 2024

I’m FINALLY loaded up and ready to roll out. Good luck to everyone, drive safe and hopefully we can all meet up and talk about our experiences after we get home. I’m going to Poplar Bluff, Missouri as a “plan A” for reconnaissance, and I’ll try and find a spot on the centerline from there up to Carbondale, Illinois. I might end up along the bank of the Mississippi??? We shall see. Good luck!!!

1 Like

I have finalized plans, will be headed to Jonesboro, AR on Sunday. We are hoping for a partially clouded sky there on Monday. If things get worse… I have Conway, AR to the SouthWest, Doniphan or Poplar Bluff to the NorthWest. I hope everyone has safe travels, and clear~ish skies where ever your travel takes you. Good Luck!

2 Likes

I am having great fun now creating a music playlist for the eclipse viewing!

I’m assuming “Total Eclipse of the Heart” by Bonnie Tyler is on the list?

It’s a must play during Totality!

I’m heading to Sallisaw tomorrow morning to stay overnight with family then heading out Monday morning. All I really have to do is get south of Ft Smith, but after that I’m going to head east and see what happens. I grew up in the area and hopefully knowing the back roads will make finding a place relatively simple.

I will have multiple drones in the air throughout the entire thing doing high altitude ground mapping, but I’m just going to sit back and watch.

I remember the 2017 Doom Bus to St Jo so anything beyond 4 seconds of totality is my only true goal.

We’re still hoping to be able to get into Petit Jean State Park early Monday morning.

It is/was…but after hearing it three times, I’ll likely now remove it.

I saw this on a “Smarter every day” YouTube channel. I cut some pinholes in a piece of cardstock with a cricut. During the eclipse, I should get crescents from the pinholes, assuming I can actually see the eclipse. Heading to Russellville, AR. There were still rooms at the Motel 6 just a while ago.

4 Likes

To Jim or anyone else thinking of heading up here: I’m in Polar bluff and found a place to set up with room I’ll share the google maps pin here:

36.843555, -90.585407

It’s a gravel “commuter parking” lot tht is on Mark Twain National Forest land, so you can car camp on it. Last night my wife and I car camped in the forest and right now were are sitting at StarBucks in Poplar bluff.

1 Like

1 Like

I’m very tempted to hop in my truck and join you tonight. But think I’ll stay here and just go to SMO. Thanks for sharing your location! I really hope you get a break in the clouds at just the right moment!

1 Like

Central Arkansas forecast has improved quite a bit.

We are camped out in Killeen,TX and the sky is nice and clear now. We”ll see what happens tomorrow.

Tom, Here’s some more suggestions for your playlist!

Just might join you there Andy, thanks for posting. Making my final decision this morning