STEM Outreach Event - 28 Mar 2024

I just posted this on the club calendar on NSN and am posting it here this early so folks can put it on their calendars. I’ll update it in early March.

We’ve gotten a request from the STEM teacher at Oakdale Public School in Edmond, to support their family STEM Night next spring.

We will be doing solar viewing and educating folks on how to safely view the April 8 Total Solar Eclipse. No nighttime viewing. so if you’re got a solar rig, please put this on your calendar!

Even if you don’t have solar viewing gear, we always need folks to help greet folks, answer questions, and generally talk about astronomy and our club. In particular for this event, we’ll be educating folks about the upcoming Total Solar Eclipse. No equipment required for that. We’ll have handout sheets on how to view it safely and you can discuss that with the parents and teachers.

Date: Thursday, 3/28/2024

Time: 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM Central

Location: Oakdale Public School, 10901 N. Sooner Road, Edmond, OK 73013

https://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/club/event-view.cfm?Event_ID=135084&View=Public

2 Likes

It’s on my calendar!

On my calendar.

This event is still on for tomorrow evening. We could use some more help. Expecting up to 600. Will have a table set up inside and maybe some solar viewing outside. Pleaese let me know if you can help. Setup can start at 4pm.

For anyone who can make it, go to the gym door. Map attached.

This is on my way home from work. I will be there around 5pm. Not bringing any equipment.

1 Like

I’ll be there with a NexStar 6SE rigged for solar viewing.

1 Like

I’ll be there setup for solar as well

Many thanks to Marv, Joel, Dave for helping at the STEM event last evening!

Marv and Joel set up solar scopes outside the entrance and had a steady line of viewers for all 2 hours of the event. I set up a table inside with a slide show of club member’s images, and handed out the last of my solar viewing glasses, along with a sheet on how to safely view the eclipse. Dave moved between us, helping out with questions.

Lisa Pitts, the STEM teacher at Oakdale, estimated they would get about 600 parents and kids, and afterward she confirmed that was their estimate for tonight. I know I handed out about 50 pairs of glasses and 75 safety sheets.

All in all it was a very successful evening! Thanks again to Marv, Joel, and Dave!

1 Like

It was gratifying to have so many youngsters wanting to look through the telescopes! Parents, too, were looking and appreciative!

There were never long lines, but the flow was pretty steady for the whole 2 hours. Joel’s rig and mine were well positioned between the parking lot and the gym entrance (and near the food truck!), so we were kept busy.

Very well organized by the school, and Mike and Dave did plenty of educating about the upcoming eclipse.

Very fun and successful outreach event!