SMO Space Day - May 3rd

Science Museum Oklahoma - Space Day

Friday, May 3rd, 10 AM to 2 PM

Science Museum Oklahoma
2020 Remington Pl, Oklahoma City, OK 73111

About this event

This is the museums annual space day event! We will have several school groups attending, so it’s a great time to share astronomy with a lot of children.

This years theme is “Space Rocks!”, which is all about meteors, asteroids, comets, and all kinds of space rocks. We will have a table inside for the club to set up. We will not have any solar viewing happening that day, but if you’d like to bring a telescope to show off and talk about, that would be great!

If anyone who photographs or tracks asteroids will be there, we would love for you to share pictures and talk about how we discover and follow asteroids around the solar system.

ALSO, if you plan on attending, please let me know ASAP. We will be providing all community partners with a free lunch from Pavlovs Cafe for the day! So we need a head count to make sure we set aside enough vouchers.

2 Likes

What are the times you need us?

1 Like

I would suggest getting there around 9:30 AM to setup the table, since the event starts at 10.

1 Like

Hi Waylon,

I’d like to attend. I sent you a private message with cc to Mitche.

I would like to attend… if space allows.

1 Like

The more the merrier! Thanks Jim!

Looks like I will be able to attend as well.

1 Like

About 3,500 visitors, most of them children, passed through Science Museum Oklahoma yesterday between 09:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Joel, Jim, and I manned the Club’s table.

Jim had his Seestar S50 on display and I had my 80mm refractor along with some video animations of asteroids. We were in a good central location. Waylon and the Museum staff were very helpful.

While the crowd was huge, we only had a handful of visitors. It seems that the children were so excited to be at the Museum that they were literally running from exhibit to exhibit, pulling their parents with them. Can’t blame them, there are all kinds of exciting hands-on exhibits at Science Museum Oklahoma.

The visitors we did have were very interested in the Seestar telescope and the images Jim and Joel were showing on their phones and tablet, I think mostly images and animations of the April 8th total solar eclipse (Jim or Joel jump in here and correct me if I am wrong).

Not unexpectedly, I received questions about choosing a beginner telescope and comments about owning a telescope, but not using it because of not knowing how to operate it. I encouraged these visitors to look into the Club and come out for our monthly public viewing nights when members would be available to show them how to use their scopes.

Overall, it was a fun event. I hope we inspired a few people to join us in our obsession with astronomy and space.

1 Like

Russ thanks for the update on this event. I could use 2 pictures for the event log if you have any.

Dave,

I just happen to have two. I will send to you by private message.