Smart Binoculars Coming

One more innovation is in the pipeline from Unistellar.

2 Likes

Interesting

Interesting idea, but one small problem, doesn’t appear to have a mounting point. Any binocular will get heavy after a while, be nice to have the option of mounting it.

Looks like an expensive gimmick. Are they giving you a better view or just showing you want you are looking at? Seems like something that was tried before as a monocular that didn’t work out.

@mpsurge I’ll ask them about a tripod connection. And highly recommend they add one if they don’t have one on there already.

@DaveNH6SM You might call it a gimmick I guess. It seems to me it’s going to be similar to an astronomy app with augmented reality. Whether it’s worth paying that much to have it built into the binoculars is up to the buyer I guess. I’m considering jumping in. Haven’t decided yet.

1 Like

FYI, the Kickstarter is now open on the Envision Binoculars by Unistellar. There are no guarantees on a Kickstarter, but I don’t think Unistellar will fail to produce these. I think the only question is if they’ll make their projected timeline or not.

The super early price of $599 sold out quickly, but you can still get in on the $699 price, saving $500 over retail once they’re in production. Your card won’t be charged until July 29, assuming they reach their goal amount.

I don’t recommend any of the add-ons; binocular mount adapter, solar filters, or monopod. You can get just as good, if not better, gear for less on Amazon or most online astronomy stores.

@mpsurge yes, they do include a mounting point. Sadly they are not stabilized, so you’ll need a tripod or monopod for optimum enjoyment.

I have decided to support this effort. Even if it’s just a gimmick, they may be fun to use!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/unistellar/envision-smart-binoculars-for-stars-and-outdoor-exploration?ref=thanks-copy