Orion Belt Stars

Orion’s Belt or the Belt of Orion, also known as the Three Kings or Three Sisters, is an asterism in the constellation Orion. It consists of three bright stars. They are Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka.

HOO color palette.

2- panel mosaic, both panels in landscape orientation, about 15% overlap.

Left panel: 75 Ha subs and 75 OIII subs.
Right panel: 150 Ha subs and 150 OIII subs because the nebulosity is fainter on the right side I had to expose more.

5-minute exposures, 100-gain, -10C, 446mm focal length, F4.4, Sky-Watcher Esprit 100ED with reducer, Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro mount. ASI2600mm pro camera.
Dithered every frame, 2x drizzled in PIX.

Pixinsight and Photoshop.

Data acquired from my backyard in the city, bortle-8 or bortle-9.
Data was collected on the clear nights of December 2023 and January 2024.

Imgur

9 Likes

As always your work is fantastic! The Horsehead Nebula shows up nicely also.
Tim Livingston

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve seen Orion’s Belt framed and captured like this before. Beautiful composition! And, the Flame and Horsehead nebulae are tucked in there nicely too. Hard to believe it was captured under Bortle 8-9 skies.

1 Like

Thanks fellas. Yeah, you can get good data from the city… it just takes heaps of integration!

Composition: yeah I just wanted to present it like you were looking at them straight up in the southern sky, like you were standing there looking at them.

Beautiful image! Nice work.

1 Like

Thank you, Randy.

Good grief that is incredible. You do such fantastic work.

Stan

1 Like

Thanks again. I’m almost done collecting data on a 3-panel mosaic from horsehead down to M42. That is what I’m currently stacking, processing and stitching etc.

Thanks for the image! Great work. Warmer nights are coming.

1 Like