Norman North Star Party - Friday, December 8th - 6-9 PM Weather-permitting

Assistance is needed from Club Members - especially those in the Norman area! RSVP!

Norman North Astronomy Classes and Club

OKC Astronomy Club

& Odyssey Astronomy Club

invite you to a Star Party at:

Washington Elementary School

• 600 48th Avenue SE, Norman, OK 73026
  • Observing Field is due West of the Main Parking Lot at Washington Elementary! FREE! Children must be accompanied by parents.

DATE: Friday evening, December 8th 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM

Keep in mind that a Star Party is a weather-dependent event.

• Keep car headlights on low as you enter the Parking Lot.
  • Dress for the weather. Washington Elementary is on the East side of Norman and the area may be 10 degrees below the in-town temperature…
  • We advise dressing in layers to include long pants, a jacket, a warm hat, socks & sturdy shoes.
  • If you bring flashlights, we will provide red coverings to dim the lights reaching your eyes.
  • You will be introduced to the planets Jupiter and Saturn, the Main Late Fall/early Winter constellations ID, and various deep sky objects.

https://www.skymaps.com/skymaps/tesmn2312.pdf

1 Like

If the skies are clear I wouldn’t mind lending a hand.

I’m planning on being there. Will bring my eV2 and Seestar.

Thank you! The address is in the original post. We are hoping for clear skies!
I will post here if we have to cancel.
Eileen

Thank you! The address is in the original post. We are hoping for clear skies!
I will post here if we have to cancel. All are welcome!
Eileen

I’m going to try and make it down for this. Not sure which telescope I will bring yet. It’s between my Orion 6" or Celestron 8" EdgeHD.

What time will the gate be open so we can set up? I’d like at least 30 minutes prior.

Friday, December 8th- We will post an update by 4:30 pm when we see what the Oklahoma weather has in store for us! Star Party -6-9 pm! See below!
At this time, all systems are GO!
We hope to have the gate open by 5 pm!
If anyone needs it opened earlier please let me know!
Eileen
(405)205-9570

We are GO for this evening! All are welcome! Come on down. The gate should be open by 5 PM.
Thanks if you are coming!
Eileen

Thanks to Mitche, Chris, Jim, and Dave for coming and sharing your knowledge and passion for Amateur Astronomy at the Star Party. I’ve received several emails from the families who came and a few from some who missed it asking when our next one will be held!
We had about 30 family members and 10 students from North.
Mike was disappointed but I shared that we can advertize more widely for a future one…KGOU, Norman Transcript. What held up our requests from Norman Public Schools was new teachers & administrators who haven’t had one of these requests in several years and they were clueless as to how to proceed.
Thank you again for sharing your time and energies. Let’s do it again! At least the weather gods smiled upon us!
Eileen

It was fun! I’ll be there if I can for the next one!

Thanks! Hoping for more. The Norman North Astronomy course is a one semester course so Mike will begin the semester with a whole new group! And so it begins…again!