Navigation [still isn’t] intuitive to me…(OK, Boomer: be willing to look around and read up)

I’ve just taken time to review all existing content so far.

1. Is there any type of built-in “tour” or navigation help?

2. What is the easiest way to navigate back to the initial startup page? (Called by whatever name?) Apparently, we click the hamburger menu in the top-right hand corner?

3. What if we only want to see new content?

4. Where do I set my (email) alert preferences (in general)?

Clicking the club name takes you to a landing page with all the subdivisions and below that are the most recent posts

image Go to preferences here

1 Like

and as I checked the most recently commented-on moves to the top of that bottom listing

(on the side there will be a purple dot showing where there is new activity as well)

1 Like

I use the mobile app for the most part and it’s fairly intuitive for me.

1. Not certain of that. Perhaps a YouTube video guide could be put together.

2. Actually I think that is the easiest way in the mobile app. Not certain about while in a browser.

3. In the mobile app, new is indicated by a blue dot after clicking the “hamburger” menu at the top right.

After reading a post, look below it and you will see unread posts listed.

1. For the mobile app:
    Click your profile picture and then click the head icon at the bottom. In the menu that shows up, you will see a link to preferences. You can go through those to find email setup. I will look for the specific place and update this post.
1 Like

@R.Palmer That’s great info, thanks!

1 Like

@R.Palmer and @mpsurge Your replies have been very helpful. Thank you!

Display a Power Tip

I’ve also learned a few tricks by asking “ @discobot start advanced tutorial “

You’ll want to try this yourself.

Display/Hide a Poll

[tvg edit] to hide this Poll. It was intended to be a funny example. But the intended joke fell flat and was discouraging (So SORRY!) to those who had worked SO hard on this selection.[end edit remark]
Or insert a poll such as:

I wonder how many of us prefer:

[poll type=regular results=always chartType=bar]
  • I love this new Discourse forum! :smiley: : :+1:
  • Take me back to the legacy Discussion Forum. :slightly_frowning_face: :-1:
[/ [poll ]
1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

You should have a third category: D: None of the Above…

I think Discourse is our best option right now. Several of us on the board, and others, explored a lot of different forum packages, and took into consideration a lot of different variables. There’s things I like and don’t like about Discourse, but we really really needed to retire the old forum.

All things considered, I believe this is the best option we have right now. I prefer a more traditional look myself, but I absolutely love the ease of inserting pictures in this one. Everything in life is a trade off.

3 Likes

I agree with Mitche on this. I really hope this works and works well, but I also realize it’s a big change and there will be challenges and disagreements.

On the “old look” though, there are different themes you can use to further customize the way it works and looks for you. Here are some free ones. If you see one that you’d like to try, I’ll take a look at installing it for you. You can see them under Settings > Customize.

1 Like

Thanks to all who helped!

Navigation is no longer an issue for me:

*In my personal case, I typically use the default Safari browser in Portrait view on an iPad Pro (10.5”) and the responsive rendering of the Discourse website either placed the hamburger menu in the top right-hand corner (?!) or eliminated it completely. It was the non-standard placement of the hamburger menu in the top right-hand corner within Safari on iPad iOS that was my primary, initial stumbling block for learning navigation. (I am now reminded that here is a ‘wonky’ behavior of iPad as it tries to support both desktop mode and mobile mode.)

1 Like

Please indulge me to say this loud and often:

I love these dramatic improvements to our Forum!
Thank you!
:clap:

To all of you who volunteer and work tirelessly for dramatic improvements such as this: thank you.

I should realize that sharing personal ideas when invited are sometimes helpful and constructive. However, sharing personal opinions and “feedback” is at least as often discouraging and demoralizing to those who bring their talents and experience to their volunteer efforts. Trust your judgment. I do.

Now, I’ll step backwards and try to slink back to being a wallflower. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

@sdm Danny has created a very helpful User Guide [link.]

1 Like

Thanks, Tom! I hope it’s useful. I didn’t make that though. Discourse made that, I just replaced the images with our own. :slight_smile:

1 Like