Home-Assembled 130mm Triplet with TMB Optics, going to Okie-Tex 2026

Built by Jim Buchanan from a TMB 130 f/6 triplet objective, Astro-Physics 2.7 inch focuser, and Takahashi tube. Buchanan stated the objective is manufactured by LZOS. Lens is engraved as serial #001. Includes rings and a Vixen-style dovetail mounting bar.

I’ve had it for approximately 12 years. I used it for visual-only observation on a Losmandy GM8 the entire time. It’s gently used and in good condition. I never touched the objective. There are a few paint blemishes and some scraping on the bottom of the ring handle. I don’t get out as much now, and I’m looking to downgrade to something slightly smaller and less expensive.

I initially prefer to find someone interested in picking it up in Wichita, Kansas or at Okie-Tex 2026.

Photos plus design and build details can be found in this 2005 Cloudy Nights article.

Price is $4500.

Additional photos available upon request.

2 Likes

What a special telescope! L.Z.O.S. indeed:

I’m certain that anyone should be very proud to own this bespoke refractor. Being a visual-only observer, my 130 LZOS is an F9 (#35); and not early as portable as this!

But the unique trademark on this lens cell definitely indicates that the objective and lens cell were indeed manufactured by LZOS according to Thomas M. Back’s specifications.

https://lzos.ru