Geary Police Harassment

“Heads up” to be careful when coming home late from the Observatory. A Geary cop was sitting in his SUV downtown Geary, it was about 1 am, I saw him, passed him, he pulled out, and followed me to I-40, he hit me with his lights just before the Truck Stop. I was shocked he decided to pull me over.

I didn’t get any tickets, (I did nothing wrong), he thought he would find someone drunk or on drugs, or illegal etc. He said " I was swerving a little". I said: " I don’t think I was, I have adaptive cruise control, and I’m recording with front and rear 4k dash cams with onboard telemetry and GPS speed recording", “I’m a very careful driver, coming home after working at the observatory for the past 6 or 7 hours”.

He then tried to say my license plate lights were not working: I then said: " that is a huge surprise to me, I’m sure they are working, please show me" So I got out went to the back, opened my tailgate to examine the lights, both lights were on and working.

He then said to me that “They aren’t bright enough for him to see the plate easily”… I was shocked again by his stupidity. We were standing there being blinded by a huge led lightbar on top of his SUV he turned on to light up my car light it was daylight, like I was some drug dealer or gangster or illegal immigrant.

After he realized who I was, that I don’t drink, that I’m not a “bad guy” he “let me go with no ticket”.

I believe because he was bored, and I looked like an “out-of-towner” he wanted to stop me. It really angered me. He was about 10 years younger than me and he was acting very militant.

I found several crazy things online about the Watonga Police and the Geary Police having a record of officers getting fired, claims of harassment, physical abuse, abuse of power, corruption etc… So, it appears me, my unfounded “stop, harass, and search of wrong doing” is part of pattern.

Just a warning, this is why I prefer to stay overnight at the observatory when I’m going to stay there late. The last thing I want is to be harassed by some small-town, over-militarized, and angry cop. So, please be careful everyone when you drive home late from CRO.

5 Likes

WOW, Andy! That’s very disturbing for any of us, I’m sure!!!

I was returning from CRO last Thursday morning, passing through Geary at about 2 a.m. with a semi a few hundred yards behind me. We were both slowed down to 25. I saw that Police SUV sitting in that location myself, and made doubly sure I was at or under 25. He didn’t light up at either of us and I breathed a sigh of relief. Guess he wasn’t bored yet.

But your cautionary tale is worth noting for all of us CRO Members, and even on the Member Night thread, too. Our regular member guests should be extra cautious as well.

Thanks for all you do for CRO!!

1 Like

Andy,

It definitely sounds like profiling activity on their part. I was only a minute or two ahead of you and did not have any trouble, but I guess I did not fit a profile, or he was busy eating a doughnut or something. I saw the one on the side that must have gotten you, and another with his lights on that already had someone pulled over or something facing away from the road.

I am always cautious going through there, but I know you don’t speed at all, so he must have seen you as a more likely “fish”. :frowning:

1 Like

I too have been stopped, but it was by the OHP in Geary. Nothing came of it, they were looking for a red Chevy truck, mine is a GMC. So he let me go.

1 Like

I hate to hear stories like this. I know that your vehicle and you shouldn’t fit any profile - other than “not from around here.” I can only imagine how that might have turned out differently if it had been someone a little less conscientious, disciplined and professional.

1 Like

My standard admonition to folks leaving CRO is, “watch out for critters and speed traps!”

But this sounds like much more than a speed trap. I agree with your description of ‘harassment.’

I often see the cop cars parked several places in Geary, but have never been stopped.

1 Like

I too have seen a police car in Geary but have not been stopped yet. That’s irritating to get stopped when you’re doing every right. Then to have him search for something to nail you with.

1 Like

Perhaps when leaving CRO we should use a buddy system. This is something new.

1 Like

I did a search on Geary OK in Windows Street Map today, 08/20/24. It outlined the city limits from the north side of town at the speed limit change, as expected. The city limits extended south of town all the way to the Cherokee Truck Stop. It was just along the four lane highway, 70mph zone and around the Truck Stop. The city limits also extended across the overpass to the Loves on the south side. Wow

2 Likes

Thanks Marvin - I didn’t realize the city limits extended that far.

Tim

2 Likes