CANCELLED: Member Night at CRO - February 3

Tonight’s Member Night is officially cancelled due to poor forecasts and possible muddy conditions. Hopefully it will be better next week!

The next member night at CRO is on Saturday, February 3.

But right now the weather forecasts are calling for rain starting Friday noon and going thru Sunday noon. It’s likely we will cancel, but check back, as it’s Oklahoma and the weather can change in a matter of minutes. Hopefully we’ll have better weather next week!

Sunset is at 1803 (6:03pm). Nautical twilight begins at 1830. Astronomical twilight begins at 1900. Twilight ends and true night begins at 1931.

The moon doesn’t rise until 0246. When it does, it will be a Waning Crescent at 36.2% illumination. It should be a great night for observing, weather permitting!

Again, watch the weather forecasts and here on the forum to find out if we will have to cancel.

If anyone is coming that can open the 14” or 30” scopes, please post on here that you will be attending and it will be open.

If you’re planning to come out, please post on here that you are coming.

If you want to be guided to CRO, please post here and check back to see if a CRO member can meet and guide you. CRO members, please post what time you can meet any members needing guides. Please make arrangements to meet directly with whoever will be guiding you.

The location of the observatory is also now searchable in both Google Maps and Apple Maps. Search for Cheddar Ranch Observatory, Watonga, OK, and it should appear and give you directions if you want. It might also appear in your GPS app/program.

Clear and dark skies!

Forecasts are poor for tonight. It looked like it might be clear for a couple of hours at sunset, but even if it’s clear directly overhead, it looks like the eastern half of the sky will be obscured. Plus after the rain the roads and grounds may be muddy.

For me, it’s not worth going out for just a couple of hours, at best. So I’m going to officially cancel tonight’s Member Night. Next week is looking better at the moment, so let’s hope for clear skies then!

Thank you for the update, i was just looking at it myself. I totally agree, not worth the trip for an hour or two.

Darn. I understand the reasoning for canceling. Just having some “warmer” nights in February is so nice! Maybe next week. Fingers and toes crossed.

I did get out in my yard 2 nights when it was so clear. Great viewing!

Monday is looking good. I’m going to Bluff Creek Park after sunset. All are welcome to join me!